Q: Car losing oil, excessive transfer case fluid

Hello. My car has been losing oil but there are no obvious leaks. I took it to a shop and they couldn't find the leak. Since my last oil change, two quarts of oil were lost. I change the oil every 3,000 miles as suggested. However, there seems to be surplus fluid in the transfer case. While examining it, the mechanic noticed that a lot of fluid poured out of it when he removed the fill plug. What do you think caused this? Is there a correlation between the loss of oil and surplus transfer case fluid? Thanks.

A: Hello. These two systems are separate so th...

Hello. These two systems are separate so they would not be related. If the transfer case is overfilled then it was either filled too high when it was last serviced or water got into it if you have driven through deep water. As for the oil loss, this is common on this engine. I first check the PCV system to make sure it is fine. If it is then the issue is bad valve stem seals. This is common and allows oil to enter the combustion chamber. The oil burns off without any signs as the catalytic converts get hot enough to burn it without smoking. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the cause of this issue.