Q: Car not starting on first attempt

I have to turn my key three times, with the safety bag light going on and off between each key turn, before you can quietly start the engine successfully. Attempting to start the engine without doing the above ritual, causes the starter to keep grinding before it starts.

A: Hi there. Rituals aside, if the starter is ...

Hi there. Rituals aside, if the starter is grinding the when attempting to start, there is a problem with starter, or flywheel. The starter can be adjusted with shims to gain the proper clearance. In any case, both will need inspected to see what is needed. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the grinding noise your vehicle is making and replace any damaged parts.