Q: Check Engine code p0016

I have a 2011 Mazda CX9. Two and half years ago, we ran it out of oil as the light never came on to warn us. The car has been running since that time fine with the exception that no longer has its Zoom Zoom.
Recently we took it into a shop to see if we could get the Zoom Zoom back. I was very honest about our situation. The shop replaced the cam sensor and the crank sensor, but then told me that I need a new engine at the tune of $7500. They said that the car would not make it the 1 mile back to our house. I did not believe them, so I did not have them do anymore work to the car. We have been driving it for 6 months since and no issues except still no Zoom Zoom and the check engine light will not turn off. I am not sure how to proceed. Do you think we need a new engine?

Hi There, As you know, code P0016 relates to the camshaft position sensor. It sounds like the sensor may not have been replaced or is still producing the same problems that one typically will produce when it is not working properly. The camshaft position sensor is a magnetic sensor that monitors camshaft speed to regulate ignition timing and fuel injection timing. It gathers and sends information about the car’s camshaft speed to the car’s electronic control module. This information is used by the computer to further calculate the time of ignition and the timing of fuel injection required by the engine. When this is not working properly, you may experience a drop in power, poor idling, poor fuel mileage and problems starting the vehicle. As the sensor begins to fail and gets worse over time as the signal it provides to the computer weakens. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your camshaft position sensor and provide a second opinion on the condition of your engine.

3. Check Engine code p0016