Q: Doesn't shift and might be stuck in 3 gear, and it hesitates a lot,

asked by on July 21, 2017

So I was driving to work then I stop at a red light when I went to take off I noticed it wasn't accelerating has it normally would also it hesitated a lot. After when I got home I disconnected the battery and left it like that until next morning, didn't seem to fix it self. When I'm driving at about 60mph the rpms are at 3000, It's happened to me before but all I would do it disconnect the battery and let it sit then start it up and it would be fine. But it's been like that for about a week and I have been told it is not the transmission but that's it a electrical problem.

What you are describing is often a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.