Q: Cross-threaded bolt 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

asked by on December 17, 2016

I just replaced the rack and pinion. When I reattached the intake and return lines I cross -threaded one of the bolts. I feel like I'm royally screwed. Does this mean I ruined the threads on the steering gear too or can I just replace the line?

Hi - more than likely the threads on the steering hydraulic lines are damaged, not those in the steering rack. However, you will need to remove the fluid lines and examine them, and the steering rack ports both, very carefully. Since this is a high pressure system, any damage will result in an on-going leak, and requires repair/replacement. I would recommend a steering system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.