Q: Check engine light came on and it sounds like one or two cylinders are not running.

My trucks check engine light came on and I suddenly lost a lot of power. It happened right after I pulled onto another road and tried accelerating. It sounds like one or two cylinders are not running. No visible smoke or fuel smell out of the exhaust.

A: Hello. If the Check Engine Light is on, the...

Hello. If the Check Engine Light is on, then the first thing I would do is retrieve the trouble codes. The Check Engine Light is likely related to your performance issues and retrieving the trouble codes may reveal some information as to what the problem could be. The fact that there is no fuel smell or smoke is a good sign. However, a loss of power can be caused by many things that would not produce either of those symptoms. A few things to look into would be the fuel system, the ignition system, and the engine management system. If you need help having this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the Check Engine Light along with the loss of power.