Q: Power steering fail and multiple dash lights turn on and alarm sounds 2009 VW Jetta

asked by on December 17, 2016

We ran some errands this morning, and two blocks from home, the power steering failed and the dash lit up with warning lights and an alarm went off. We got home, parked, and I turned off the car. I tried to turn it back on again and it won't it doesn't turn over at all and just clicks, like the battery is dead. What's going on? NOTE: The check engine light did appear recently, but went away. I'm sure they have to be related.

Hi - the failure event you just experienced when returning home was almost certainly the serpentine belt failing. This would eliminate power steering assist, the alternator (which would turn on your "Battery" light and others), etc. Check for problem codes as well, even if the Check Engine light is no longer on - may be residual codes to inform you to the prior problem. I would recommend a serpentine belt replacement by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.