Q: my 2005 cadillac escalade wont shift out of first gear what can be the problem

asked by on May 26, 2017

it do not shift out of first gear an it shift just fine earlier today just need to know what to do and what can be the problem

Hi there. Thanks for your email to YourMechanic.com’s Ask a Mechanic. In most cases, when a transmission will not shift out of first gear, it is due to one of two things. First, and most common; is due to dirty transmission fluid or an obstruction inside of hydraulic lines inside the transmission caused by filter material or other debris inside the transmission. In other instances, a shift solenoid on the transmission is faulty. The best way to resolve this issue is to have a professional mobile mechanic complete transmission fluid service or have them complete a transmission is hard to shift inspection to isolate the source of this issue and recommend the right repairs.