Q: Hello! I was running low on coolant so I added water until I could buy some.

asked by on September 02, 2017

Hello! I noticed I was running low on coolant yesterday morning so I added purified water until I could buy some more coolant later that afternoon. Now that I bought 50/50 coolant, can I add it on top of the water? I know I need to get it flushed but cannot do that until Tuesday so will using the 50/50 coolant on top of the remaining purified water keep my engine safe until Tuesday? Thank you!

This time of year you need not worry about running for a few weeks until you can get the coolant changed. Keep in mind that you might have a leak that needs attention and don’t let it get low until you have that checked out. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting YourMechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to [flush your cooling system for you right there on the spot.](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/cooling-system-flush