Q: Car hard to get from 30 mph but after 40 is good.

I don’t know if this has anything to do with the issue but it started when the car ran out of gas. Grabbed the gas tank out the garage. Been sitting for 6 months. Put it in the tank and after that the car started jerking. Once got speed it was good. Was in line dropping off my son had my foot on the brake let off and it wouldn’t go. Put it in Park then drive then it jerked a little then it let me drive. When it goes from 30 mph - 40 mph it hard to get to 40 mph but once it does it’s fine. Please help. Never jerked or had any problems before.

Gas has a relatively limited shelf life and thus the fuel you added may have gone bad, that is the volatiles (the combustible components) had evaporated and there were some gummy solids due to fuel oxidizing. If the gas is bad enough, solids can plug up the fuel pump pick up screen and solids will easily plug the filter reducing the flow of fuel. If you desire, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can install a new fuel filter and check out the rest of the fuel system and see if that resolves the problem. If not, a loss of power diagnostic would be the next step to identify the root cause of the problem. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. Car hard to get from 30 mph but after 40 is good.