Q: Chattering noises coming from transmission

I am going to assume the noise is from the transmission, whereas when I am coasting in neutral the car doesn't emit the noise as it does when in gear. The noise is intermittent, and happens when both the car is cold and warm. I noticed this last night when getting off the interstate. The noise wasn't apparent when in cruise control in 5th, but when I started to down shift the noise would start. It is intermittent. My car is a 5 speed. No noises occur while shifting or downshifting, no clunks or grinds either. It just makes a chattering noise while in gear and driving with applied throttle. I am fairly sure the chatter is not from the motor, as the chatter isn't apparent while applying throttle out of gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A: Hello. From the symptoms you've describ...

Hello. From the symptoms you've described it would appear to me that there may be an issue with the clutch disc or perhaps flywheel.

If the contact surfaces of either are excessively worn it may cause intermittent chatter, as you are experiencing. If the clutch is still the original one than it may need to be replaced.

If you'd like a second opinion on this or would like to get this fixed, consider getting some help from a qualified mechanic who can diagnose the noise your car is making. Once this assessment is made an accurate repair can then performed.