Q: What could be the cause of a loud roaring noise when I apply my brakes?

asked by on November 10, 2016

For the past couple of days, when I drive, it makes a low rumble while I drive. When I start to gently apply the brakes it makes a loud roar similar to an airplane taking off. The noise is coming from the rear of the vehicle and it is not similar to that of a squeak or a squeal, which would be present for a brake pad issue. I have been braking as little as possible, but when I do, I make sure that I do it as gently as possible so as to not put any stress on them. I do a lot of driving to and from work (approximately 80 miles per day). The road that I live on is bumpy but the rest of the way to work is paved. There is nothing that appears to be hanging down from the underside of the vehicle and the tires appear to be fine.

Hi there. Typically, there are two mechanical parts that can cause this type of noise as they begin to wear out. The first and most common culprit is brake pads that have worn and are actually grinding on the rotor. This is a very unsafe situation and should be repaired as soon as possible. The second is typically worn out wheel bearings. The roaring sound in this case is caused by a lack of lubrication inside the spindle. In either case, I’d recommend contacting a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can complete an inspection of the vehicle to diagnose your noise problem and recommend the right repairs.