Q: Do I need to replace the turbo?

asked by on October 26, 2016

When taking it off it is losing power. My car has 120000 miles.

Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement $171.84 - $740.29 Get a Quote
Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. There are several reasons why your car might be low on power. Some of these are related to the turbocharging system: lose high pressure hoses, blow-off valve control hoses, and circuitry (regulates the amount of boost to the engine = power), clogged or dirty intercooler (extra radiator in front of the AC which cools the compressed air going to the engine), failing boost pressure sensor - falsely limiting power to the engine and so on.

Of course, it could be the turbocharger as well. Non-turbo related possible issues include a blown head gasket, dirty sensors like mass air flow falsely limiting engine power, and more. If you would like to have this issue inspected, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the loss of power and guide you with repairs.