Q: The handle on the exterior of my car has snapped off. If I replace to handle will I need to swap over the lock barrel?

asked by on March 06, 2017

The exterior handle to my fiat 500 has snapped off, if I replace the handle will I have to change over the lock barrel or should it be okay with the new one?

Exterior Door Handle Replacement $115.53 - $453.90 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. Without knowing the model and year of the vehicle, it is difficult to tell what kind of replacement parts you have as true options. With that said, you are likely going to be able to find a replacement handle that will utilize the same key lock cylinder that is in the door now. It will require that you remove it from the old handle and transfer it over. Make sure that you know your linkage is in good condition, and that all of your clamps for that linkage inside the door is working properly, so you are not left with a different repair than you started out trying to fix. Remove the door panel and assure the handle itself is to blame. For more help replacing the handle, contact our service department.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr