Q: Chirping in motor. Not a pulley or belt. Took the belt off and still squeals.

I have an 03 Tahoe 5.3L that has a squealing noise. Is my motor bad and needs to be replaced or is there a way to fix this?

Hi, thanks for writing in. It is likely that an engine overhaul or replacement would be necessary if the engine is making the same noise that a bad serpentine belt would make. This could be piston rings scratching against the cylinder walls due to lack of lubrication. I would certainly make sure that the oil is full on this vehicle. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to confirm a diagnosis on the issue and make or suggest the necessary repairs or replacements.

3. Chirping in motor. Not a pulley or belt. Took the belt off and still squeals.