Q: Chirping in motor. Not a pulley or belt. Took the belt off and still squeals.

I have an 03 Tahoe 5.3L that has a squealing noise. Is my motor bad and needs to be replaced or is there a way to fix this?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. It is likely tha...

Hi, thanks for writing in. It is likely that an engine overhaul or replacement would be necessary if the engine is making the same noise that a bad serpentine belt would make. This could be piston rings scratching against the cylinder walls due to lack of lubrication. I would certainly make sure that the oil is full on this vehicle. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to confirm a diagnosis on the issue and make or suggest the necessary repairs or replacements.