Q: After accelerating, car has clunking sound from transmission

asked by on July 25, 2016

I am experiencing what I think to be transmission problems. After accelerating from a near stop, my SUV has clunking sounds coming from the transmission. This is happening on an ongoing basis. When this occurs there is an extremely hard shift when the transmission slams into 1st gear instead of staying in 2nd. Then it continues to shift from there. Would you please diagnose this problem for me so I can get it fixed? Thanks.

Hi there. This is not an uncommon fault. The most likely causes would be low transmission fluid, a shift solenoid, transmission mounts, or a drive shaft. Your best bet may be to have a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, take a look at the car in person in order to diagnose and repair your acceleration issue.