Q: ABS issue??

I had to slam on my brakes today and now my abs and traction control light comes on after I drive for a bit. And now when I come to a complete stop it makes a stuttering noise and I can feel it in the brake peddle.

Hello, thank you for writing in. When you make a hard stop, the majority of the stress gets put onto the brake pads and the rotors. While other components can absolutely be effected, these are what we have designed to take the forces at play. You may now have a rotor that is warped, a brake pad that is worn inconsistently, and the hydraulic system can be damaged. With the warning light being on, whatever the issue is, has caused the braking system to fail the tests run by the computer constantly. You can start by having those diagnostic codes pulled, and they will likely point you in a direction to start taking corrective action. You may also want to do a physical inspection of the braking system. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Hello. It is common for the ABS light to come on after making an emergency stop . Normally the ABS light will turn off after the car is cut off and the vehicle passes the self tests. The ABS light will stay on when you drive the vehicle again. If there is a problem present the ABS light will stay on. Slamming on the brakes may have exposed a weakness is a component such as a caliper, wheel speed sensor or ABS module. The brake pedal making the stuttering noise leads me to believe that there is a problem in the ABS module. I say this because there was a recall on Mitsubishi where the ABS module would go bad and a noticeable vibration could be felt as the brakes are pressed. Your ABS module was not recalled but it is still has a high failure rate. A brake fluid exchange could resolve the issue but usually a new ABS module would be required. When the ABS light comes on there will be a code present inside of the ABS module to help a technician diagnose the issue. I suggest that a technician scan ABS module to help determine what faults may be present. YourMechanic provides mobile technicians who can diagnose your vehicle. You are able to schedule an appointment and view pricing here https://www.yourmechanic.com