Q: Fuel is leaking and Check Engine Light is on - 2008 Mazda 3

asked by on October 31, 2016

I was driving in the middle of the road and suddenly i cant press the gas andthe engine light come on and when i pulled over i notice the smell of the gasoline and its leaking under my car

The fuel pump is contained within the tank and so cannot leak. You are probably seeing fuel leaking from a fuel line and/or from the fuel tank itself. There could be a loose fuel line fitting, impact damage (debris from the road), a broken rubber hose, and/or corrosion on metal lines or the tank.

Gasoline is a fire and explosion hazard so obviously the leak needs to be addressed promptly. If the vehicle has been towed back to your home, have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, pinpoint the location of the leak and determine what repairs are needed.