Q: How do the Side Curtain air bags work?

How do the Side Curtain air bags work?

In addition to front air bags, your car includes several other air bags located throughout the cabin. The Side Curtain air bags are located in the ceiling of the car and will deploy during certain side and front impacts. The side impacted is the side that will deploy (the passenger Side Curtain air bags will deploy in a passenger side impact, for example). The air bags descend from the ceiling and cover the windows to prevent potential injuries. The side air bags may also deploy when the driver or passenger front air bags deploy.

Tips

• Your Side Curtain air bags may or may not deploy in an impact. They’re designed only to be deployed if the severity of the crash is enough to make them necessary.

• Side Curtain air bags rarely deploy in anything other than a direct side impact, but it is possible they will inflate in a front angled impact.

• Once an air bag has been deployed, it must be replaced.

3. How do the Side Curtain air bags work?