Q: Door sensor not working properly

I'm not sure if it's electrical or a switch/sensor. Sometimes when I close my driver side front door it will tell me that the door is still open even though it is shut. In some instances I have to open and reshut the door multiple times before it realizes that the door is actually shut. A vast gust of wind can trigger the dome lights and the door open warning to come on. Also it hasn't happened in a while but when I used to hit the driver side lock/unlock button it would sometimes trigger it as well. I'm not sure what it could be but I thought I would have the switch replaced and see if that is the issue. What is your thought on it?

Hi there. There are multiple things that could be the problem; the door switch, latch assembly, latch position, wire harness, door ajar switch, body ECU (BCM), etc. Before replacing any parts, I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection. Parts do wear out and many of the ones listed are used frequently. Imagine, if you will, how many times the door latch has to open and close during the life of the vehicle or how many times the wire harness is bent back and forth from opening and closing the door. A qualified technician with proper diagnostic equipment will be able to determine the fault with minimal time and avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Guessing is the most expensive repair. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an electrical problems inspection.