Q: My car has a high pitch chirping sound when accelerating. 2010 Subaru Impreza

My car is making a high pitched chirping sound, kind of like a bird chirping, i only hear it when im on the road and i am pressing the gas. The sound becomes louder as the gas pedal is pushed farther down. However if i press the gas while im on neutral, it does not sound. It doesnt sound either if my car is parked and i rev it on neutral or in a gear. I started to hear the sound after i changed my headers about a week ago so i thought it could be an exhaust leak but i feel like its not. Anyways i dont know a whole lot about cars and im hoping i can get an answer because this sound is extremely annoying. Thank you

Hi - your Impreza has a turbocharged engine for enhanced performance. This produces pressurized air for the engine, increasing power. To avoid over-pressurizing the engine, there are boost pressure controls, and a "waste gate" port to vent over-pressure - all electronically controlled. This can produce "chirping-like" noises under acceleration, especially during and after gear changes for manual transmission cars. This is normal behavior, and shouldn’t cause concern. If it seems excessively loud, I would recommend an engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My car has a high pitch chirping sound when accelerating. 2010 Subaru Impreza