Q: My car has a high pitch chirping sound when accelerating. 2010 Subaru Impreza

My car is making a high pitched chirping sound, kind of like a bird chirping, i only hear it when im on the road and i am pressing the gas. The sound becomes louder as the gas pedal is pushed farther down. However if i press the gas while im on neutral, it does not sound. It doesnt sound either if my car is parked and i rev it on neutral or in a gear. I started to hear the sound after i changed my headers about a week ago so i thought it could be an exhaust leak but i feel like its not. Anyways i dont know a whole lot about cars and im hoping i can get an answer because this sound is extremely annoying. Thank you

Engine is running louder than normal Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi - your Impreza has a turbocharged engine for enhanced performance. This produces pressurized air for the engine, increasing power. To avoid over-pressurizing the engine, there are boost pressure controls, and a "waste gate" port to vent over-pressure - all electronically controlled. This can produce "chirping-like" noises under acceleration, especially during and after gear changes for manual transmission cars. This is normal behavior, and shouldn’t cause concern. If it seems excessively loud, I would recommend an engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.