Q: Engine misfiring, black smoke out of tailpipe

asked by on July 08, 2016

The truck has difficulty starting up in the morning, after it sat the whole night and the engine is cold. The tailpipe starts blowing black smoke. The engine is misfiring as well. It runs rough for several minutes and then when the truck gets warmed up, it runs well. What could be the problem?

Hello. The conditions you described could result of a fuel injector o-ring leakage, a fuel injector control module intermittent failure, or a glow plug failure. I would also recommend checking the electrodes on the spark plugs. Get some help from certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who will easily be able to provide an accurate diagnoses of your misfiring issue and perform the necessary repairs.