Q: Found oil in the water reservoir

asked by on June 07, 2016

I found transmission-type oil in the water reservoir. Does this mean a transmission problem or a radiator problem?

Generally a pink milky fluid in the coolant indicates a leak between the transmission cooler and radiator. It is very possible the radiator has failed. Both the coolant system and transmission should be flushed to prevent cross contamination of fluids and the radiator replaced. Please note: never open or service the engine cooling system while the system is hot or pressurized or serious injury may occur. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic who has the expertise and training to replace the radiator and service the necessary fluids. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can inspect the cause of the leak at your home or office.