Q: Ignition won't turn

I hopped into my truck this morning, put the key in the ignition and it wouldn’t turn! It’s done this twice in the past 8 weeks. What I had to do was jiggle the wheel and tap where the key goes into the ignition cylinder for about 20 minutes. And then it finally worked! Should I replace my lock cylinder or what? Do you have any ideas? This is terribly inconvenient.

Hi there. Most of the time this is caused by a key that is worn out or the lock cylinder being worn internally. I usually use some silicone lubricant on the key and in the lock cylinder to get the internal teeth to move freely. I would also try using a spare key if there is one just to see if the worn key is the problem. If the issue persists, then it will need a new lock cylinder. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your ignition turning problem let you know what should be done.