Q: What Do Electrochromatic Mirrors Do?

What do electrochromatic mirrors do?

Electrochromatic mirrors are what can be termed as "automatic" day/night mirrors. These types of rear view mirrors have two sensors that detect light. One light sensor is on the back of the mirror (toward the windshield) that measures the amount of ambient light. During the daytime when ambient light is greatest, the automatic response of the electrochromic mirror is disabled.

The other light sensor is on the front of the mirror (facing the driver). This sensor detects light from the headlamps of vehicles to your rear. At nighttime when the amount of ambient light is least, this mirror dims automatically to reduce the blinding glare from the headlamps of the vehicles behind you.

Many vehicles come from the factory with electrochromatic rear view mirrors. Some side view mirrors are electrochromatic as well. These mirrors are also available from the aftermarket, making them an easily accessible upgrade to most any vehicle. If you need any assistance, a certified mechanic can help you repair or replace your mirrors if necessary.