What is the Rearview Mirror all about?
Every car has a rearview mirror inside the car that reflects the view out of the rear window of the road behind. Mirrors are critical in determining when it’s safe to make a lane change, and they’re invaluable in providing information about what is in your car’s immediate vicinity. Many people only use their mirror for backing up their car, even though it is strongly advised to turn around and look over your shoulder to visually see where you are going. However, mirrors do more than that. They allow you to check for pedestrians or bicycles when you are about to open the car door.
Keep in mind:
- Some interior mirrors have an auto-dim function when they detect bright lights from the rear. They can be expensive to replace.
- Most of today’s cars have a switch that tilts the reflective surface to an angle that provides a dimmed version of the view behind, to reduce glare from headlights. If this quits functioning, it’s a good idea to replace it.
- It is dangerous and illegal to operate a vehicle without an adequate mirror.
How it's done:
- The windshield and mirror base plate is cleaned
- The windshield is marked for placement of the mirror base plate
- Mirror epoxy adhesive is applied to the mirror base plate
- The mirror base plate is positioned on windshield and held in place till adhesive dries
- The rearview mirror is installed onto the mirror base and secured
Replace any mirror that has been damaged immediately. It’s not only illegal to drive without a mirror, it’s potentially dangerous because of the blind spot it creates. A broken mirror also deprives a driver of critical strategic information needed for maneuvers out on the road.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Rearview Mirror?
- Cracking, discoloration or deterioration of the mirror’s surface
- Rearview mirror is missing
How important is this service?
The replacement of a broken or badly obscured rearview mirror is a high-priority repair. As a legal requirement and a critical safety issue, the mirror should be replaced immediately.