Q: When accelerating, car backfires or turns off

asked by on September 13, 2016

I very much like my car, but it is having sensor problems. When I step on the gas, it will not accelerate or else it will start backfiring and sometimes even turn off. Then I have to let it cool down before it will work great again. I purchased a new fuel pump because I thought it was that, but replacing the fuel pump didn’t make any difference. I have also replaced the following: camshaft sensor, coolant sensor, new engine speed sensor, thermostat assembly. The car performs great, but the check engine light is on.I read that the solenoid sensor can cause cars to backfire, so I purchased one, but have not yet installed it. I took my car to the repair shop for them to check it and was given multiple diagnoses like: coolant sensor, engine misfire, thermostat, oxygen sensor. I was asked if it overheats and I explained it does not, so they suggested we start with the least expensive part. Before letting them perform any replacements, what is your diagnosis and solution?

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. There is a possible recall for the ignition control module on your vehicle. You will need to contact a GM dealer and see if your vehicle is on the recall for the recall 03v231000 ignition control module failure. The recall should be done at no cost to you if your vehicle is covered on the recall. If it is not covered then you may still need to replace the module as it will cause loss of power, and even the backfire you have been having.