How do I engage and disengage the automatic locking retra...

Q: How do I engage and disengage the automatic locking retractor (ALR) mode?

asked by on December 11, 2015

How do I engage and disengage the automatic locking retractor (ALR) mode?

The automatic locking retractor (ALR) mode is a safety precaution that locks the shoulder belt in place, while tightening it to avoid any slack. ALR mode should always be used (if your car is equipped with it) when a child safety seat is being used. Engaging ALR mode requires three steps.

1. Buckle the seat belt into the latch.

2. Grab the shoulder strap, and pull until the entire belt has been pulled out of the belt connector.

3. Release the belt, and allow it to retract back into the belt connector. As it does, you will hear a clicking sound that lets you know that ALR mode has been activated.

To disengage ALR mode, unbuckle the seatbelt, let go, and allow it to retract into its normal position. This will return the seat belt to standard mode.