Loud constant noise from engine approximately 30 secs aft...

Q: Loud constant noise from engine approximately 30 secs after start - check engine light on - code P1404

asked by on August 07, 2017

Yesterday (Aug. 6th) my wife drove to the grocery store, stopped the van and then re-started it since she wasn't getting out yet. She said when she restarted the engine revved strongly and unusually and was making a constant loud clicking-like noise. When I got to the van, it had been resting for 20-30 minutes. I started it and it ran normally for about 30 seconds to a minute and the noise started - I can best describe it as a fairly loud and constant rattling/clicking/clacking noise from the engine, possibly the driver's side. I noticed the check engine light was on and I turned it off. I have an OBD scan tool, the code returned is P1404. I do not know if it is safe to drive the 3 miles home so we have left it parked while we determine our best course of action. I am looking for advice on whether I am okay to drive it home, what the issue may be and how to proceed possibly with YourMechanic. Thanks in advance for your help!

The noise sounds like the engine is either low on oil or the oil pressure is dropping. First check the oil level and coolant levels and if they are not low then I would not recommend running the motor until the noise is identified by a mechanic like one from YourMechanic can come to you and check the noise. The code P1404 is for and EGR system and should not be cause of noise.