Q: Do I need to get a new battery when my alternator dies?

My alternator died and my battery is completely drained. The guy who towed me said that this means I'll need a new battery. Is this true?

I would recommend having your battery tested. When your alternator goes bad, that means your battery has been charging regularly. Irregular charging can decrease the life of a battery. Since you can’t get the car going, I would recommend having a mobile expert from YourMechanic come to your home to test your battery before purchasing a new one. Once the issue has been pinpointed an accurate repair can be made. Best of luck.