Q: I hit something last night and smell gas in the car - is it my gas pump or something else?

I just booked an appt for Sunday for gas pump replacement. Not positive that's what I need. I hit something in the road last night and now I smell gas in the car. Could it be gas pump or possibly something else? Thanks

A: Hi there. In most cases, a fuel leak after ...

Hi there. In most cases, a fuel leak after hitting an object may be caused by a ruptured fuel line, the fuel cell being damaged, or it could be caused by the fuel pump that is damaged. If you've booked this service through YourMechanic, contact your customer service rep that you spoke with and ask them for the mechanic to complete a fuel is leaking from gas tank inspection. The inspection will verify where the leak is coming from or if other parts besides the fuel pump is the source of your issues. If you didn't book through YourMechanic, feel free to contact one of our local mechanics to complete this service for you.