Q: Is it possible to start a car with a dead fuel pump? If so, how?

asked by on November 03, 2016

My car wont start but tries to turn over. I think its the fuel pump but not sure! I wanted to get it to a garage but didnt want to have to get a tow truck. I was wondering if there is a way to start it with a dead fuel pump

Hey there. You will need to verify whether or not the fuel pump is actually at fault before moving forward with repairs. This fuel pump is accessed under the rear seat through an access panel. If you have a bad fuel pump, it is very possible to start the car, but this should be avoided since the motor and pump will likely become burned out. You wouldn’t need to get the car towed to have the pump replaced since the fuel tank does not need lowered to change it. Keep in mind that there are other possibilities for the no-start, such as issues with the ignition switch, a bad battery, or a fault with the starter.

If you need an alternative to having the vehicle towed, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and can replace the fuel pump for you if needed.