Q: Engine Power Reduced

asked by on August 26, 2017

Recently, my car has been giving me problems. It will die almost like its out of gas, and every time I have to stop the car, unhook my battery cables, and then it will run fine for about 20 min or so, but then the same things happens.

About a month ago, my check engine light came on and I had auto zone run the diagnostic test on it and they said something about an evap or emissions valve, Im not positive what they said it was. And also my car acts like there is a short in the electrical system. When I put the car in park, the doors unlock/lock themselves nonstop, and the headlights flash. Not sure if this has something to do with it but just thought it might help.

Hi Chloe. Thank you for taking time to contact us today. It looks as if your Saturn is having a few non-related issues. First off, in regards to the engine problem, it’s likely that you have an EVAP system component that is causing the acceleration issues. The EVAP system is emissions related, and is comprised of multiple individual components including the EVAP canister, purge control valve, EVAP solenoid and more. When one of these components is dirty or damaged, it creates vapor problems and impacts the engine’s ability to efficiently burn fuel. To correctly determine what part exactly is causing this problem, having a professional mechanic come to your location to complete an onsite inspection is a great first step. In regards to the door locks problem, this is likely due to an electrical relay that is damaged. If we can help you diagnose and repair this problem, please feel fee to set up an appointment.