Q: Randomly shuts off no matter how much fuel is in vehicle, no acceleration/stalling when pushing pedal.

Sometimes when driving my vehicle, the engine will randomly shutdown while I'm driving. She runs nice, until this issue occurs and I'll then smell exhaust fumes, and she may not start back up immediately on shutdown. The engine will rev like it's trying to crank, but will never turn and if it does happen to do so it dies back down immediately. After letting the vehicle sit for several minutes, she'll eventually start back running and allow me to drive her a short distance. The fuel gauge is also out of wack, never really moving higher than half tank no matter how full it is. I've changed the fuel pump twice, but not the sending unit. I've also had one of the fuel lines repaired not to long ago. More details can be given if necessary.

A: Hello and thank you for writing in! When wa...

Hello and thank you for writing in! When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? The filter can have a huge effect on how much fuel is delivered to the engine. With the age of your vehicle, there are a few different components that could cause this problem. You should also look into checking the spark plugs and ignition cables. Are you sure the plugs are gapped correctly, and that's the wires are in good condition? A general tune up is probably needed at this point in the vehicle's life anyway. All depending of course on what other repairs you've had done recently. If you need help replacing your ignition cables and spark plugs, YourMechanic can dispatch out a certified mechanic to your location.