Q: Starter makes a 'clunk' noise

Instead of ticking, the starter kind of makes a ‘clunk’ sound. The engine won’t turn over - not even try to a single time. A local dealer installed a new starter, but that didn’t help; I’m still having the same problem. The car has a fully-charged battery and there is plenty of oil, so I don’t think that the engine would be seized. Even hooking up a 200 amp starter/charger didn’t help. Is there a way that I can turn it over “without” having to remove the left front tire again?

A: Hi there! It's likely that there is a g...

Hi there! It's likely that there is a ground connection compromised, loose, corroded, or power shortage. If the starter, battery, and the alternator are testing out to be fine then I suggest looking towards the connections and wiring. Start with the wires and connections closest to the starter first and work your way up to the battery

Please keep in mind that YourMechanic provides technicians that will perform all of these tests at your home or office. As a certified mechanic can come to your location and diagnose your starting issues and fix it accordingly.