Q: Does our whole ABS system really need replacing?

The mechanic we took our Outlander to, to replace a wheel hub has said our vehicle need a whole new ABS system. The ABS light had never come on. No light has indicated anything wrong. Is it possible that our ABS system is gone without a warning light coming on? Not sure if we can trust the mechanic we took the vehicle to.

Hi, thanks for writing in. In nearly 40 years of working on cars, and 30 years of anti-lock brake systems, I’ve never seen or heard of a single vehicle needing a "whole new ABS system" at one time, unless it was a miscommunication of what the vehicle might actually need. I’d be amazed if an entire ABS system - wheel speed sensors, ABS computer and ABS pump ALL failed at once. If you would like a second option, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your ABS system for you.