Q: Does our whole ABS system really need replacing?

The mechanic we took our Outlander to, to replace a wheel hub has said our vehicle need a whole new ABS system. The ABS light had never come on. No light has indicated anything wrong. Is it possible that our ABS system is gone without a warning light coming on? Not sure if we can trust the mechanic we took the vehicle to.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. In nearly 40 yea...

Hi, thanks for writing in. In nearly 40 years of working on cars, and 30 years of anti-lock brake systems, I've never seen or heard of a single vehicle needing a "whole new ABS system" at one time, unless it was a miscommunication of what the vehicle might actually need. I'd be amazed if an entire ABS system - wheel speed sensors, ABS computer and ABS pump ALL failed at once. If you would like a second option, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your ABS system for you.