Q: Brake light circuit warning light illuminated - 1998 BMW 323is

The brake light circuit warning light has been on for the past few days. All the brake lights are working. Recently I had a bad tail light and I replaced it. The warning light went off for about 10 minutes and then came back on. All the lights are working; I checked the connections on the light bulbs and the sockets, as well as the whole light assembly. Everything looks fine.

Regarding the bulb that I replaced in the tail light, I swapped it with the fold and socket. That was after I had researched some forums online and someone told me to check the switch under the brake pedal. But all of my brake lights are working well, so that does not make sense to check the switch under the brake pedal. I will purchase some more bulbs since I only had one. What can I do to fix this problem? Thank you.

A: Sometimes, there is just enough corrosion o...

Sometimes, there is just enough corrosion on the end of the bulb to trigger this warning despite the bulbs illuminating correctly. Using some emory cloth or very fine sandpaper, rub the contact end of each of the brake bulbs to clean the contact, Re-insert the bulb in it’s socket. If this persistes, contact a professional mechanic, like YourMecanic, to diagnose and repair this problem.