Q: If a left cv axle is bad, would you lose power to the wheel? Would it also effect the right side?

The other day, I lost power to my left front wheel. The car shuddered and pulled to the right intermittently. Today, it did the same thing, but this time I lost power to both wheels. Now, when I engage the clutch, nothing happens. If I accelerate, the car doesn't move and I hear grinding under the hood, as if the transmission is spinning and just barely touching the teeth of the cv axle. I know my left cv axle was bad an needed replacing. Would this be as easy as replacing the left cv axle? What could this be?

The CV axle is just a shaft with joints on each end. The axle will transmit whatever power is applied to it but if the splines on the shaft are sheared off, or a joint is physically broken (separated), the shaft won’t turn. From your description, it is not exactly clear though what has failed. You could have clutch issues as well as issues with the shafts perhaps being broken or failed. The grinding noise is pretty abnormal and if the problem were damage to the splines on the transmission output shafts that connect to the CV axles, that could be a problem. Your best course is to get what you have properly and professionally inspected. Once the exact circumstances are understood a mechanic can then lay out for you a least cost strategy to get your car operating normally. If you would like to go that route, the recommended service in your circumstances is a CV axle inspection/replacement. However, as noted, if the problem is more involved than just axles obviously the mechanic will look at the entirety of what you have and advise you from there. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. If a left cv axle is bad, would you lose power to the wheel? Would it also effect the right side?