Q: 2004.5 Volvo S40 T5 alternator

asked by on December 26, 2017

My alternator fried, so when I pulled it, I noticed it has 2 pins in the connection and 3 pins in the chassis connection. I took it to Napa and he said it was a rebuilt alternator. We bought the car used, so it could have been replaced before. Both 2 pin and 3 pin alternators are available for that year model. What's the difference?

These vehicles are known to have issues with aftermarket alternators since they are computer controlled charge circuits and aftermarket alternators do not always work correctly and only dealer alternators will work correctly.