Q: On a 2008 enclave there is a p0018 code. How do you know if it's a failed sensor or timing chain?

asked by on December 17, 2016

Getting p0018 code car runs great even with code present no loss of power no rough idle. Thinking gunk on sensor. Is relearn procedure nessesary for use of same sensor once cleaned?

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement $105.38 - $777.03 Get a Quote

Hi there. Locate the crankshaft position sensor and check for power to it with the key on. If there is power, then with using a paper clip to back probe the wiring with the plug installed on the sensor, check the sensor for an output power as you turn the engine over by hand. If the power changes to a voltage on and then a voltage off, then the sensor is working. If there is not voltage at all or the voltage stays on all the time, then the sensor has failed. If the timing chain has broken, then the engine would not be able to turn over all the way as your engine is an interference engine. If you need further assistance with diagnosing your P0018 code, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.