Q: had my fuel pump replaced and three days later my check engine light is on, why do I smell gas after driving?

asked by on February 13, 2017

After a mechanic put on a new fuel pump my check engine light is on, I purchased a new gas cap but the light has not gone off and I smell gas after driving.

If you were getting a fault code for Evap Leak or something similar, it may be due to the installation - saying this sight unseen of course. Noting that you smell gas, it’s possible that the seal on top of the fuel tank was not properly positioned when the new fuel pump was installed, or the Evap Purge line was not properly connected. Bring the vehicle back to the installer and have them verify the repair as soon as possible.