Q: Q: Iac valve

I unbolted my iac valve I turned the key hear click but valve only moved once and not no more after. I took a circuit tester to chafe the connection wire, when car is off all 4 lit up red then when I turned car on only 2 lit up red. Is this normal what do u think is wrong

Danny. We appreciate you contacting us and asking questions - but this issue with your Dakota is something that we really can’t "guess" at what might be normal or is wrong with your Dakota. Any responsible mechanic would insist on inspecting the vehicle onsite before even suggesting what is possibly wrong with the vehicle. This is what we do here at YourMechanic.com. So, unfortunately, we can’t help you here. Please have a professional mechanic come help you - as you’re simply chasing repairs, which is going to be increasingly more frustrating.

This is not a valid test on the IAC. The ECM uses the engine coolant temperature sensor along with the TP sensor vehicle speed and other component inputs. You should use a scan tool to look at the data to see what percent the ECM is opening the IAC. The reading should be about 20 to 28 percent. Also look at all the other sensors to see if any reading is not within specifications like if the coolant sensor is reading too cold then it may raise idle to compensate. You will need to do further testing in order to isolate the cause of the high idle.

3. Q: Iac valve