Q: The fluid in the power steering pump is overheating.

The fluid in the power steering pump is extremely hot and you can smell burning while driving. What is wrong and how can I fix it?

Hi there. There is a blockage in the system causing the pump to purge and build up to max pressure. Check the hoses and see if there is any issues with fluid flow. If the steering is easy to move and there is no issues, then the back pressure valve in the pump has stuck and will not let the fluid cycle through all the way making the fluid boil. Try looping the pressure line back to the return on the pump and see if the fluid stops boiling. If it stops boiling then there could be a restriction in the power steering box. If you need further assistance diagnosing your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you with your power steering pump.

3. The fluid in the power steering pump is overheating.