Q: Transmission won't shift gears

My elantra won't shift gears but it still drives, and check engine light is on due to that. Was told it was shift solenoid but they were replaced and still has the problem

Hi there, thanks for writing in. There are multiple causes of an automatic transmission that won’t shift properly. Failed shift solenoids can cause this condition, but unless the problem was properly diagnosed, it’s possible that it was a guess. It could be a failed valve body, a failed transmission control module, or a wiring issue somewhere in the circuit. Automatic transmission connectors fail commonly, and allow fluid to leak into the wiring, causing electrical problems. It could even be a low fluid level causing the transmission not to shift. I would recommend having the shifting issue professionally diagnosed by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.