Q: When I shift from drive to reverse or vice versa it makes a clunking noise. 1997 Land Rover Discovery

asked by on February 13, 2017

When I shift from drive to reverse or vice versa it makes a clunking noise.

Loud noises when car is put in gear Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - the clunking noise you hear from shifting forward-to-reverse (or vv), is the result of a small amount of wear and loose motion in the driveline. This could be a worn u-joint, differential gears, or splined coupling somewhere in the driveline. This should be expected with higher mileage vehicles, but will only get worse. To check on abnormal or dangerous wear, I recommend a driveline inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.