Q: Jeep won't turn over after sitting for 8 hours 2001 Jeep Cherokee

When I go to start my 2001 jeep Cherokee after it has been sitting for at least 7-8 hours, it never wants to turn over. All the dash board lights will light up, but the jeep won't even try to crank until I've been trying for 15+ minutes. After its been sitting for 3-4 hours, I have to apply gas to get it to actually turn over and start. The longer it sits, the less likely it is to start right away. What could be causing this?

Hello - I would first check the battery cables and ground straps for corrosion, or other poor-connectivity problems. A strong battery can be hampered by poor connections, which will sometimes finally pass current. A failing starter solenoid (burned contacts) will act in a similar fashion. You may find that adding a jumper battery will improve the situation - at least temporarily. A failing ignition switch or starter relay can also cause start-up problems. I recommend a hard starting inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Jeep won't turn over after sitting for 8 hours 2001 Jeep Cherokee