Car shakes and stalls at a stop or sometime in reverse. N...

Q: Car shakes and stalls at a stop or sometime in reverse. No check engine light, no codes. Replaced spark plugs.

asked by on August 05, 2017

It takes a couple times to start my car and sometimes, I have to push on gas when starting it up. The car usually vibrates hard before putting into gear or when at a stop. Car will stall, sometimes in reverse or while waiting at a traffic light or stop sign. Occasionally will lose power and not go over 40 mph. I have changed the spark plugs and had AutoZone and a friend use a diagnostic hand held, will not give any codes.

It wasn’t a bad idea to change the sparkplugs, but at 88’000 miles I doubt that had much to do with the problem. You need to check carefully for air leaks. Any air that gets into the engine without passing through the air mass meter will lean out the mixture and cause all kinds of bad behaviors. Have a look at all of the rubber hoses and large rubber parts that can allow air into the engine. If you don’t find anything there, I would begin to suspect a problem in the throttle motor. But don’t run out and buy any new parts just yet. you’ll do well to have the car properly diagnosed. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting Your Mechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to check out your stalling Toyota and let you know what it is going to take to fix it.