Q: Knock sensor 2000 Chevrolet Lumina

asked by on December 04, 2016

The service engine soon light came on, so I had it checked and I was told it was the knock sensor. So I replaced it and the light still comes on after the sensor was replaced and the codes for the sensor were deleted.

Hi - first task is to recheck what codes are still present that represent a "knock sensor failure". There may be an additional problem that has changed engine timing (worn timing chain for example) that is causing an engine knock (re-ignition) condition, rather than the sensor failing. I would recommend an engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.