Can a bad master cylinder cause the clutch to go out as i...

Q: Can a bad master cylinder cause the clutch to go out as if someone was riding it?

asked by on August 30, 2017

My 2005 ford ranger has been having trouble shifting while sitting still. It seemed to be getting worse, so I took it in day before yesterday. The dealership called this morning and said it was the master cylinder, and that it was covered by my warranty and just needed to pay the deductible. Then a few hours later called back and said they replaced the master cylinder, but the clutch also needs to be replaced and it would be an additional $1400! . My question was if the master cylinder had caused the difficulty in shifting that could have caused the wear and tear on the clutch also, and then it should be covered by the warranty. What I have read online seems to support this also, but I wanted some expert advice. We bought the truck from them after a head to toe inspection a year and a half ago, and we take it in to them for oil changes every 3 months. Just seems too coincidental that these things both failed at the same time with no prior symptoms. Only goes about 25 miles a week too.

The fact that you have been driving the vehicle with the defective clutch master cylinder would not have caused the clutch problem if you would have had it fixed as soon as the problem was evident. The clutch was not disengaging all the way and put excessive pressure and slippage of the disk. Aftermarket warranties will not cover a clutch in any case even if a covered part caused the failure.