Q: Fuel Pump shuts off when filling

My check engine light went on, I went to an oil change guy because I knew I had to have my transmission oil changed. I asked him if he could check out why the engine light was on, so he plugged in his computer diagnostic machine and he said the check engine light had something to do with the fuel tank or something around that area. SO that same week when I was filling up, it kept shutting off as if my tank was full but it was on empty. Then the time after there was no issue but then a week after that it happened again and worse, it shut off every ten seconds.

Evaporation Vent Solenoid Replacement $106.26 - $358.99 Get a Quote

This is likely related to your EVAP emissions system and something called a purge solenoid. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere. The EVAP system collects and temporarily stores the fuel vapors in the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is filled with activated carbon pellets that can absorb the fuel vapors. When the engine is running, the fuel vapors are purged from the canister and burned in the engine. The vent control valve (solenoid) controls the flow of outside air in and out of the charcoal canister. When this is not working properly, you may experience the gas pump shutting off prematurely causing it to take a very long time to fill up your fuel tank. This is due to the excess fuel vapor that is present when the purge solenoid is not working properly by releasing these vapors. The gas pumps at the fuel station have automatic sensors on them (for safety reasons) that shut off automatically when too much fuel vapor is present. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to take a look at your car to diagnose your EVAP purge solenoid.